The BASE Way
The BASE believes that providing an environment in which to leverage the power of baseball – not only for the practice of the game but for the practice of life – will demonstrate to black and Latino urban youth the value of love, excellence, community and family, resilience, respect, and the belief in what’s possible. It has developed a powerful methodology that including a distinctive, high performance culture described below.
- The BASE is a mindset for excellence.
- The BASE is family, not programs.
- The BASE is love, loyalty, and respect at all times.
- The BASE is a place to learn important life lessons.
- Everyone earns their spot at The BASE.
- The BASE has expectations, not rules.
- The BASE has culture, not compliance.
- The BASE teaches “team” – we represent something bigger than ourselves.
- The BASE operates with a coaching methodology and a ‘whatever it takes’ approach.
- The alumni feel connected and keep coming back.
- The BASE knows that all kids have excellence – we help them bring it out.
- The BASE builds its schedule around players’ needs, not staff convenience.
- The BASE doesn’t measure ‘wins’ with statistics alone, we celebrate wins whether big or small, tangible or intangible. We are closer to our players than any other organization can claim to be – we know what inspires them, what challenges them, and we help them focus more on their dreams than fears, on what’s possible instead of what could hold them back. We don’t judge and we don’t turn our backs. We show unconditional love and support.
- The BASE embraces failure as learning.